inicio mail me! sindicaci;ón

gDiaper: the 150 year lifespan (and how it turned me onto cloth)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/envivant/envivant.com/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 75

Photo Credit: g diapers, originally uploaded by kspan17.

While I was pregnant, one of my most daunting challenges was what I would do about mindfully managing my baby’s basic bodily functions: the elimination of waste. The thought of leaving a 500 year poop legacy was reviling. I was consumed with trying to find thoughtful diapering solutions. Like many expecting moms I was thrilled at the promise of the gDiaper. Finally, a disposable diaper with a conscience that would allow me and my baby to leave a lighter eco-footprint. If you are not already familiar with the gDiaper, it is a relatively new diapering solution that boasts multiple environmental features: no chlorine, no dyes or inks, no perfumes, no latex, no plastic. Unlike conventional plastic diapers, the gDiaper is composed of a cellulose pad and takes merely 50-150 days to biodegrade. In contrast, plastic nappies take up to 500 years to decompose and some release toxins into the environment as they breakdown.

The gDiaper is composed of 3 parts; an outer cloth panty, a water-resistant, breathable liner(made of either nylon or polyester), and a disposable cellulose pad. The flush-able pad works much like a menstrual maxi-pad. It is designed to soak up liquid and solid waste. When it gets dirty, the flush-able pad can be either composted(wet ones only), flushed down the toilet (depending on your plumbing), or thrown in the garbage. The flush-ability of the cellulose pad means that the “diaper” does not end up in a landfill, but rather, in a sewage and waste management facility.

So…how did it go? Well, we tried it during our baby’s first few weeks and that the diaper leaked… a lot. I thought that maybe our little one was too small to fit securely into the gDiaper. So, we took a break. When our baby was 3 months of age, we tried the gDiaper again. In fact, at this juncture, we decided that we would force ourselves to use the gDiaper full throttle and bought 4 cases of them.

Two weeks later, and I am trying to come up with creative ways to use the cellulose pads. Usually after 2 or 3 poopy diapers, I have to wash both the cloth panty and the liner. Even if I have liners left the cloth panty is dirty. Handwashing takes only minutes, but drying takes hours. So I am left with 3 and 3/4 cases of gDiaper cellulose inserts. I could by new cloth panties, but each one is 16$. Compelled to be resourceful, I started to use the cellulose inserts in cloth diapers we had been given at our baby shower and until now, had been using as burp cloths. So far, this has been working out nicely. You can buy these regular cloth diapers for 12.99 for 12 or 38$ for 4 organic cotton ones. I also like using the classic diaper pin, it makes me feel quaintly old-fashioned. To me, this is a cloth/disposable hybrid. One caveat, is that diapers should be changed every 2 hours to ensure freshness and avoid “pickling.”

Cleaning tip: To get rid of those pesky yellow stains on the liners, I was recommended to try Dr. Bonners Magic soaps, the UNSCENTED BABY MILD PURE-CASTILLE SOAP in a turquoise bottle, it sells for 10$ for 16 fl. oz. The soap should be squeezed into the stain and soaked in hot water, then rinsed. The soap is made of only organic oils, citric acid, and vitamin E, and is safe for babies.

One thing that may help increase the functionality of the next generation of gDiapers is adding “wings” to soak up the mess that leaks out of the sides.

10 Comments »

Jason wrote @ February 19th, 2008 at 4:40 pm

Hi there

My name is Jason Graham-Nye and I am the CEO and co-founder of gDiapers. I am so sorry you had such an ordinary experience with the product. My wife and I stumbled upon them back in Sydney and loved them as customers. Prior to that we were using cloth. In fact when we started, we just bought the covers and used cloth inserts. Then we migrated to the flushables. I applaud your resourcefulness.

You are reading our minds in terms of R&D. We are working hard on the next generation of product. Hopefully in time for your next little one?!

Cheers

Jason
dad/ CEO
971 235 0359

Lisa Arneill wrote @ February 19th, 2008 at 9:51 pm

I am glad that you published your results because I have had the same problem with these diapers.

I was starting to think that I was a dork and not able to put them on properly.

Good for you for using classic cloth diapers. We use Kushies all in one cloth diapers and they work well for us because they are the closest thing to a disposable diaper.

neelam wrote @ February 20th, 2008 at 8:56 pm

Jason, thank you for your concern. It is so nice to see that CEO’s of companies are so on the ready to listen to consumer feedback and respond. I really love the idea of the gDiaper. It is such a thoughtful product. I look forward to trying the next generation of g’s. I will continue to use the gDiaper, but probably for now in this unorthodox way.

neelam wrote @ February 20th, 2008 at 9:07 pm

Thanks Lisa for your comment and information. I have not heard of Kushies, but will be sure to look them up. I also really appreciate your blog. www.growingyourbaby.com. i am so proud of your little one determined to be a part of our world!!

mamatang » More about gDiapers… wrote @ April 24th, 2008 at 10:31 am

[…] parents wrote in about their experiences using gDiaper absorbent liners with cloth diapers… perhaps this is a sensible option for night time diapering? (Also at En Vivant, see a great […]

Alison wrote @ September 21st, 2008 at 12:39 pm

When I first saw g-diaper I was so excited!!!! I bought them for my son! After using them for awhile I found I didn’t like them at all! The concept was great but there were alot of things that need to be changed! First the buttons that attach the liner in to the cloth part always dug into my sons skin. This caused them to be very uncomfortable and the marks took like 2 weeks to go away because they were under the skin. Also the the disposable pad would always bunch up in the diaper. I don’t know if it was uncomfortabe for him, but when he was poopy the poop would get all over the plastic liner and I could never get the stinky smell out of them. I think its mostly the liner that needs work and how it’s attached. I don’t mean to bad mouth g-diapers because they are trying so hard to do a great thing for the baby and the enviroment, but at this point I would either use 7th generation disposable or Oraganic cotton or Bambooo cloth diapers, untill little g’s are made better.

Yomari wrote @ October 22nd, 2008 at 9:23 am

I have mixed feelings about g diapers. I just dispose them since I figure they decompose quickly and that way no water is used. I only need to wash the liners from large poopy diapers, but this uses very little water and they dry very quickly. However, they do sometimes leak and you need to wash the little g pants, which take a long time to dry so you do need to have a few of the expensive pants if you are using these diapers full time. The pad is just like a maxi pad and the liner only gets dirty on the sides of the middle area where the pad sort of bunches together, which is why I cannot understand how they haven’t explored the “wings” solution! I laughed when I read your post cuz I always say that! Hope they perfect these…. In the meantime, even when I can’t use them full time, every 40 pack I use is 40 less disposables into the planet and that makes me happy…

Christina wrote @ December 16th, 2008 at 5:03 pm

I have been using the gDiapers for about a wk. No problems so far. My only con is like everyone else: the stained liner. But you can clean it and air dry it no problem. I havent had one leak yet. I plan on purchasing more gDiapers/inserts. Im in a yahoo group for gDiapers and they helped me find out that you can rewaterproof your liners without buying more. All you have to do is use NikWax to rewaterproof them. Hope this helps. Also if you have some and are willing to ship or live near the tn area respond to me on jazmynesmommy08@yahoo.com. Only serious inquires please!

Christina

michael wrote @ June 28th, 2009 at 9:20 pm

In addition to Gdiapers that we use with our baby, we also use a flushable bag for my dog’s poop.

I flush my dog’s poop down the toilet with a flushable doggy waste bag. Most eco-friendly way to get ride of dog poop.

The company is called Flush Doggy.

There are flushable dog poop bags. The best answer probably because dog poop can get treated just as your poop is.

FlushDoggy, is a fully biodegradable, flushable(water soluble) dog waste bag that is very eco-friendly.

Dog doodies are best to be flushed down the toilet and degrade naturally , just as our own doodies. Stop destroying our earth and start educating the public, one poop at a time. Be a responsible owner and go green for our pets.

angely wrote @ May 8th, 2010 at 3:52 pm

The gdiaper system used as cloth, is wonderful. I bought a 6-pack to try out, when i saw them on sale at diapers.com. I was so excited, I ordered them one evening and they arrived by the next afternoon! I’ve been using them with prefold and flatfold diapers. I got a leak at first because I hadn’t put them on my baby properly, but it’s now been over a week and they’ve worked out so well for us. He looks so cute in them, and now that the warm weather is here I’ll sometimes just let him go around the house in his gdiaper. I love that we’re not contribuiting to land fills, I’m saving money and his bottom is rash free!

Right now diapers.com has a sale on the 2, 6, and 8 packs of gdiapers and if you enter the code :MLX26222 you get $10 off your first order and a $5 credit towards your next purchase.

Your comment

HTML-Tags:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong>